Announcement

Collapse

TLBs new Discord Server

https://discord.gg/5kvBdTE

The future is here people. DISCORD seems to be replacing traditional forums for us gamer types, and as evidenced by the dramatic slowdown in the use of the TLB forums and the regular use of DISCORD, it's true for The Lazy Bastards as well.

It takes a bit of effort to get DISCORD set up, but worth it once it's done. It does have a lot of nice features and good sound quality.

On any given day there's always a few of us logged into DISCORD and trying a few games out. At the very least it's s good place to check in on your TLB brothers from the past.

A suggestion;

download and install the discord app/software instead of connecting directly through a browser window.

Our Teamspeak Server will soon be shut down if it isn't already. ts54.gameservers.com:9352

TLB has a "No Politics, No Religion" Policy on Discord much the same way we have had on our forums for years. Over time we've learned that for most of us this is a place to relax and enjoy ourselves, not bring up touchy subjects like that. Overt sexism, racism and bigotry will not be tolerated either.

The occasional subtle or mild comment will be ignored but please do not get carried away. Take it to a private channel or Admins will take action to preserve the peace.

TLB's motto has always been "Just play the damned Game" and we expect people to do just that. Players are here to relax, enjoy themselves and socialize without the day to day stress of real life. It's expected that our members and visitors will respect that.
See more
See less

System upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System upgrade

Hi friends. I have recently gotten back into gaming after being off for a few years. (Thanks cannon). I am looking to upgrade and need suggestions as I have no idea what is good stuff now. I'm not sure if I want to just upgrade the stuff that really needs upgrading or go full out and build a monster rig that will last years. I used to build a "decent" rig every year but about 6 years ago i built a rig with the intentions of not doing so again for a few years. That worked out really well as all I have upgraded was a burned up PS and a burned out video card. I'm leaning towards doing this again, however that depends on how much it will run me. So here are my current specs.

AMD 8320 Vishera 8 core 3.5ghz AM3+ processor
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 mobo
    Corsair AX850 power supply
    MSI GForce GTX970
    16 GB DDR3 Ram
    1.5tb baracuda HDD (I suspect its going out as its getting noisy and slows down)
    500gb SSD (steam games only)
    Windows 7 64
    I also plan on upgrading my old 23" 60hz wal-mart cheapo Acer monitor with a 144 hz 24-27". What are your guys experiences with monitors? I see some people post that 27" is too big and can get a bit pixely. I am also colorblind, so I am not terribly worried about vibrant colors. I just want something that is going to last. I don't plan on going 4K so I'll stay at 1080p.

My current rig runs most games I have on medium\high with zero issues. So should I keep it and build a whole new system or just upgrade the mobo, CPU, GPU with a new SSD and windows 10 64? What are your recommendations for the Intel chips vs the new AMD Ryzen? I was recommended an Intel i7 8th gen coffee lake (3.7mhz), but I noticed the seemingly comparable Ryzen chips were less expensive. The firend who recommended the intel said he could not speak on the ryzen as he only has experience with intel and knew that to be a good chip. Said he had read about issues with the usb 3.1, but that is all I have to go on.

Thanks in advance!

Ship

I've been doing some research and here is what I have put together for a possible build. I think I am going to just Keep my old rig and build a whole new rig seeing as how inexpensive PSUs and cases are. I'll just leave the 1.5TB HDD in the old rig and move the 500GB SSD over to the new one to use with the new SSD.

Intel Core i5- 8600K Coffee Lake 6-core 3.6GHz
    Gigabyte Z370P Mobo
    16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V series DDR4
    MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
    Samsung 970 Evo 500GB PCIe SSD
    EVGA 750 GQ modular PSU
    Windows 10
    Viewsonic XG2402 monitor

Any comments or suggestions?

Comment

I haven't built one in a long time Ship, so I haven't kept up with it either. I do prefer to build to last for a long time though instead of upgrading. My last one I built lasted for about 10 years and ran everything up until Battlefield Bad Company. Also the processor went belly up as well so......
      As for monitor info, I would ask Killer about it, he seems to know a good bit about them.

Good luck with the build man. Wish I was doing one too.
      Spartans don't die. They go to hell and regroup.

Visit our handcrafted soap website (US shipping only, sorry Canukleheads) www.cornsilkposey.com

Comment

Thanks G! Ive changed my build up a bit. I'm sure it will change again before I actually order within the next month or so. I'm bumping the processor up to an i7 8700K and a slightly better MoBo for overclocking purposes. I think I'm gonna also opt for a 1TB M.2 SSD. For the monitor I'll go with an Acer XG270HU as it is 1440P at 144mhz and is one of the certified G-Sync compatible freesync panels. I may go water cooled also for OC purposes. I really want to get as much as I can out of this system.
        Last edited by [TLB]Shipwreck; 01-23-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Hey Shipwreck! I've been planning to do the same thing for the past couple of months. I delayed starting because Christmas was coming, and now I'm delaying cus INCOME TAX time is coming.

Once I clear that hurdle, I'm going to build my own and get ridiculous with my parts. I don't know if you've ever used the site I'm going to paste a link to, but it's a big help and can help you avoid any potential compatibility issues, as well as giving costs and build options.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Super helpful!

Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth.
          --Chuck Norris

Comment

Working...
          X